How we pick our products
Goji berries are small red fruits that are often dried for consumption. Originating in ancient China, goji berries have gained global popularity in part due to to advertising campaigns that sold them as a panacea. Although this unique food is not actually magical, it is certainly very nutritious, tasty and healthy.
Goji berries help to slow the aging process and strengthen the body’s immune system. They also support both eye and skin health, and can help stabilize blood glucose (glycemia) levels. Ready to learn more about goji berries? We’ve created this guide to provide you with all the information you need to go out and get your first goji berries.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection: The Best Goji Berry Supplements on the U.S. Market
- 3 Buyer’s Guide: Everything You Should Know About Goji Berries
- 3.1 What exactly are goji berries?
- 3.2 How do goji berries taste?
- 3.3 Which nutrients are found in goji berries?
- 3.4 What are the health benefits of goji berries?
- 3.5 What is the suggested daily dose of goji berries?
- 3.6 Why is it important to buy organic goji berries?
- 3.7 Can goji berries prevent aging?
- 3.8 Are goji berries suitable for diabetics?
- 3.9 Are goji berries good for the skin?
- 3.10 How do goji berries protect eyesight?
- 3.11 Do goji berries supplements help regulate intestinal function?
- 3.12 Do Goji berries boost our defences?
- 3.13 Will goji berries help me lose weight?
- 3.14 Are there side effects or risks from eating goji berries?
- 3.15 What goji berry supplements are available and which one is right for me?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Goji berries contain a range of nutrients including dietary fiber, carbohydrates, vitamin C, provitamin A (beta-carotene, lutein), zinc, iron and potassium. The berries are very versatile and flavorful, so they can easily be added to foods like cereal bars, salads, jams, baked goods and much more.
- Goji berries support longevity and slow down the signs of aging. They can prevent eye diseases and improve the appearance and health of skin. Finally, these berries help us maintain healthy blood glucose levels.
- Goji berries are usually consumed dried, but there are also supplements that come in the form of powder, capsules or drinks. All goji berries meant for human consumption must result from organic production processes to guarantee their safety.
Our Selection: The Best Goji Berry Supplements on the U.S. Market
Production of goji berries has increased rapidly, in part due to the publicity campaigns that hailed the many benefits of this superfood. Although certain goji berry products offer superb quality, others may be lacking. In this section, we’ve gathered the very best goji berry products for you. All meet high-quality standards, so we hope you find just what you’re looking for!
Best Dried Goji Berries
These handpicked, extra large, super sweet and just a bit sour goji berries from Nutrient Elements are a fantastic addition to cereals, cookies, trail mix, salads, yogurt and much more. They’re non-GMO, gluten free, kosher and vegan friendly. They also have no artificial flavors or preservatives.
Each serving provides 2 grams of dietary fiber, 3 grams of protein and a healthy serving of Vitamin A. This affordable, high-quality product—Amazon’s Choice for best goji berries—is manufactured in the USA, and comes with a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee. It also comes in a resealable bag for easy storage and transport.
Best Goji Berry Capsules
If you’re looking for all the fantastic benefits of goji berries, but without the taste, try these great capsules from Carlyle. For just under $10, get 120 capsules, each with 1000mg of concentrated goji berry extract. With this product, add essential nutrients like Vitamin C, Beta-Carotene, flavonoids and antioxidants to your diet.
Carlyle’s capsules are packaged and lab tested in the US, ensuring the highest quality. They’re non-GMO and free of allergens like gluten, wheat, yeast, lactose and soy. Adults should take one tablet two to three times each day, preferably along with a meal.
Best Goji Berry Powder
Navitas Organics Goji Berry Powder is a 100% freeze-dried powder made from organic goji berry juice, which was originally cold pressed from fresh berries. It’s a great source of essential vitamins and minerals, in particular vitamin A, as it provides 20% DV per serving. This powder has a mild berry flavor that adds a great taste to smoothies, yogurt, oatmeal and baked goods.
Navitas goji berry powder is also Kosher, non-GMO, vegan and gluten-free. Each serving is 1 tablespoon, and an 8-ounce package comes with about 25 servings. You can also opt for 4-ounce or 16-ounce packages.
Best Goji Berries Under $15
Roots Circle makes these superb dried goji berries that come in a unique airtight container that will maintain freshness and the crunchiness that customers love. The cover is wide and thick, giving you ample space to scoop out a portion of berries or refill the container when you run out. The berries are ready-to-eat, and offer a sour but sweet flavor that enriches any meal.
Root Circle’s goji berries are made in a closely monitored facility that is nut-free, dairy-free and egg-free. Each package contains 14.1 ounces, or 400g, of dried berries.
Buyer’s Guide: Everything You Should Know About Goji Berries
Goji berries are one of the most controversial superfoods found on the market. It can be difficult to make up your opinion on the berries when you’re exposed to misleading ads selling them as miracle cures and detractors who say the berries won’t help you at all. What you should know is that goji berries are very nutritious and can contribute improvements in health when taken properly.
What exactly are goji berries?
How do goji berries taste?
Which nutrients are found in goji berries?
- 330 calories
- 57 grams of carbohydrates, half of which are simple sugars
- 2 grams of fat
- 12 grams of protein
- 8 grams of fiber
- Minerals: potassium, iron, zinc, selenium and others
- Vitamins: provitamin A (beta-carotene) and vitamin C
- Pigments: beta-carotene, zeaxanthin and lutein
What are the health benefits of goji berries?
- They strengthen the immune system
- They protect the liver and ward off liver-related diseases
- They support visual health
- They slow signs of aging and prolong lifespan
- They can help prevent cancer
- They boost energy levels
- They stimulate libido (sexual desire) and fertility
The scientifically proven benefits of goji berries, meanwhile, include the following:
- They help regulate intestinal function
- They possess multiple antioxidant compounds (substances that can mitigate oxidative stress in the body)
- They stabilize blood glucose levels
- They reduce appetite and are satiating
- They promote visual health
- They strengthen the immune system
- They contribute to healthy skin and can prevent wrinkles and other blemishes
What is the suggested daily dose of goji berries?
Why is it important to buy organic goji berries?
The Spain-based independent organism OCU (Organization of Consumers and Users) tested 10 goji berry samples, and all of them came back with signs of contamination from pesticides, lead or cadmium. Long-term cadmium consumption is linked with multiple kidney, bone and fertility issues. That’s why we strongly advise you to stick with organic goji berry products.
Can goji berries prevent aging?
Antioxidants help defend your cells from free radicals, which are compounds that “oxidize” cells and result in disease and aging.
Are goji berries suitable for diabetics?
However, you should consult your doctor before taking goji berries if you suffer from diabetes. The effects of these berries when combined with medication may cause blood glucose levels to fall below target values. This phenomenon, called hypoglycemia, causes dizziness, trembling and sweating.
Are goji berries good for the skin?
How do goji berries protect eyesight?
Do goji berries supplements help regulate intestinal function?
Do Goji berries boost our defences?
Will goji berries help me lose weight?
Goji berry supplements won’t impact body weight.
Nonetheless, you can add dried goji berries into your weight-loss diet or plan because they help control appetite. The fiber found in goji berries helps to slow digestion and extend the feeling of satiety, which will affect your appetite and may help you to eat less.
Are there side effects or risks from eating goji berries?
That said, there are some groups that should avoid consuming goji berries:
- Children, pregnant and lactating women, because there are no current studies guaranteeing that goji berries are 100% safe during these stages. Children may occasionally consume dried goji berries.
- Individuals who tend to suffer from hypoglycemia.
- Individuals taking warfarin, acenocoumarol, or other anticoagulant medications, because goji berries may interact with these medicines. There is a risk of hemorrhage.
- Individuals with allergies to certain foods, pollen or mites may experience a cross-allergic reaction following goji berry consumption. Symptoms may include hives, itching or tearing. These individuals should not consume goji berries or any product that contains them.
- Individuals with chronic diseases (hepatic, hormonal, renal, or cardiac) or taking permanent medications should consult with their doctor prior to taking goji berry supplements.
What goji berry supplements are available and which one is right for me?
- Whole and dried fruits
Whole and Dried Goji Berries
This is the most natural way to consume goji berries. As we mentioned previously, only water is removed when the fruits are dried, while they maintain the other original nutrients. Dried goji berries are rich in carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins and minerals. You can eat them as is or put them in jams, pancakes, muffins, salads, cereal and smoothies.
Whole goji berries add a delicious flavor to your diet as they are especially sweet and refreshing. Those who suffer from constipation or are looking to regulate their intestinal function will find the berries particularly useful. The satiating property of goji berries, meanwhile, will calm your appetite for hours, which will help you stay away from snacks. Diabetics will also appreciate goji berries’ ability to regulate blood glucose levels.
Goji Berry Extract Capsules
These capsules contain goji berry extract within, and manufacturers advise taking 1 to 3 each day. They’re easy to swallow and easy to transport. The neutral taste is another advantage for those who don’t like the goji berry flavor. Capsules are recommended for anyone looking to slow the signs of aging, care for their skin and avoid eye issues.
Most supplement manufacturers use hydroxypropylmethylcellulose—a plant-based material—to make the capsules, which means that they’re safe for vegans. Still, we recommend checking the label for specific ingredients prior to purchase.
View this post on Instagram
This chocolate and berry smoothie-bowl is the perfect energy boost to recharge your batteries!! Happy Sunday everyone! #bestofvegan #berries #yummy #foodphotography #foodie #happyfood #foodlove #eatingfortheinsta #foodpic #foodofinstagram #easyrecipe #foodstyling #delicious #eatclean #picoftheday #foodporn #foodism #gojiberries #chocolatesmoothie #whatieat #plantbased #plantpowered #brekkie #feedfeed #commontable #heresmyfood #juliastix Recipe by @itsfoodtastic
Goji Berry Powder
Frozen dry air is used to dry goji berries before they’re reduced into a powder form. You can mix the powder with milk, yogurt, milkshakes or even solid foods when you’re baking. The sweet taste of goji powder is mild, and its nutritional profile is very similar to that found in whole berries.
Goji Berry Juices
Goji berry juices are sweet and refreshing. They’re high in sugar content and low in fiber. Stay away from too much sugar in your diet by consuming a maximum of 50 milliliters each day. These juices are not recommended for diabetics, since they might raise blood sugar levels.
|Dried berries (1 tablespoon)||Capsules (2 units)||Powder (2 teaspoons)||Juice (50 milliliters)|
|Calories||33 calories||2 calories||15 calories||24 calories|
|Proteins||1.1 gram||0.13 grams||0.55 grams||0|
|Carbohydrates||5.7 grams||0.34 grams||2.65 grams||6 grams|
|Fiber||0.8 grams||0||0.7 grams||0|
The best goji berry products are made from high-quality fruits and are free of any and all additives, pesticides and heavy metals. There are a handful of factors that you should take into account in order to get the product that’s best for you and your needs. They are the following:
The sweet but slightly acidic flavor of dried goji berries makes them a customer favorite. They fit well in a range of recipes and types of food. However, juices and supplement powder have an even sweeter taste that some may not like. If you prefer a neutral taste, we recommend capsules.
Dried goji berries, capsules and powder should be stored at room temperature in a dry, dark spot. Once opened, goji berry juice should be kept in the refrigerator and consumed within 4 days.
View this post on Instagram
Freezer gems: GOJI BERRIES! 🌶🌶🌶 Was organizing the chest freezer and found a stash of goji berries from last year. I thought I shared/ate all of last year’s harvest but surprise surprise, a few baggies left! My three mature plants are leafing out already and I can’t wait for another crazy season with these amazing, low-maintenance, high-yielding superfood plants. I took hardwood cuttings earlier in the season and they’ve rooted (yay!)… so I’m hoping to tuck more plants in the front garden once they are large enough. What “superfoods” do you currently grow in (or wish to incorporate into) your garden? #lyciumbarbarum #lyciumchinense #lycium #solanaceae #gojiberry #gojiberries #wolfberry #foodgarden #foodgardens #ediblegarden #ediblegardening #vegetablegarden #homegrown #horticulture #gardening #growfruit #ediblelandscape #vancouverfoodgarden #vancouverfoodgardening #zone8b #zone8bgardener #zone8bgarden #growyourownfood #growyourownfood #growyourownsuperfoods #superfood
Form of Consumption
Capsules are easy to take with a glass of water, while whole berries and juice can be consumed as-is. Goji berry extract powder should be dissolved in a drink (such as milk, water or a vegetable-based juice), or simply add it into your doughs or favorite desserts.
We strongly recommend that you look for supplements that have been tested for the absence of heavy metals and pesticides. If you can’t find products that have been tested, you should still look for certified-organic goji berries.
|Flavor||Sweet, slightly acidic and always refreshing||Neutral||Sweet and mild||Sweet and refreshing|
|Form of consumption||Alone or with other foods||Alone with water||Mixed into drinks, infusions or yogurts. Mixed with flours||Alone, doesn’t need to be dissolved or mixed|
|Conservation||At room temperature, in a dry and dark location||In their container, at room temperature and in a dry and dark place||At room temperature, in a dry and dark place||In the refridgerator|
As you now know, the nutritional benefits of goji berries have been scientifically proven. These amazing berries can have a very positive impact on your body when taken regularly. Although they’re full of great nutrients, don’t forget that they shouldn’t compensate for a normal, balanced diet.
Always pay attention to the label of a goji berry product you play to buy, and don’t let yourself be fooled by any ad campaigns that claim goji is a miracle food. The value of goji berries is undeniable, but they won’t cure every ill. Also, some products could be contaminated or contain harmful additives, so be careful to pick a quality brand. Using these supplements to improve your life will be worthless if you’re exposed to risks.
We hope you found our guide helpful and interesting! Please share this article on your social media, or leave us a comment with your thoughts below.
(Source of Featured Image: Dionisvera: 85213195/ 123rf.com)