How we pick our products
Quinoa flour is an increasingly popular food found around the world. That popularity comes from the amazing nutritional qualities found in quinoa, placing the grain in the category of ‘superfood.’ Are you familiar with all of the benefits of quinoa flour? This article will fill you in on all you need to know.
The quinoa seed has been harvested since ancient times, yet many people don’t know how beneficial it can be for the human body. Should you choose to add quinoa to your diet, you’ll see that it has a variety of uses and goes great in many recipes. This gluten-free food is also an ideal option for vegans, vegetarians and those with celiac disease.
- 1 Key Facts
- 2 Our Selection of the Best Quinoa Flour on the U.S. Market
- 3 Shopping Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Quinoa Flour
- 3.1 What exactly is quinoa flour?
- 3.2 What makes quinoa flour a superfood?
- 3.3 What are quinoa flour’s benefits?
- 3.4 What is quinoa flour’s nutritional value?
- 3.5 What distinguishes quinoa flour from other quinoa-based products?
- 3.6 What is the recommended dose of quinoa flour?
- 3.7 Can quinoa flour be used instead of wheat flour?
- 3.8 Can quinoa flour be consumed by diabetics and people with celiac disease?
- 3.9 Are there any negative consequences from the consumption of quinoa flour?
- 4 Shopping Criteria
- 5 Summary
- Quinoa flour comes from the quinoa seed and shares almost all of the same properties and benefits. The flour is well known for its high concentration of quality vegetable proteins, as it contains all of the essential protein amino acids.
- Quinoa flour’s gluten-free nature is especially important, since it makes it a great substitute for wheat flour or other gluten-containing cereals. People with celiac disease and others pursuing a gluten-free diet can turn to quinoa flour as a substitute.
- Quinoa flour is used for dishes ranging from creams, purees and sauces to desserts and doughs. It is commonly used in vegetarian and vegan recipes in order to boost the nutritional value of the meal. Quinoa is also a recommended option for anyone facing issues with their heart, cholesterol, hypertension and digestion.
Our Selection of the Best Quinoa Flour on the U.S. Market
As is often the case with superfoods, the wide variety of quinoa flour options can be confusing for those looking to give it a try. Most importantly, you should make sure to buy a product that is high quality and contains a high nutritional value. In order to make your purchase easier, here are some of the best options available.
- Best Organic Quinoa Flour
- Best Kosher Quinoa Flour
- Best Quinoa Flour for Baking
- Best Quinoa Flour From Bolivia
- Best Gourmet Quinoa Flour
Best Organic Quinoa Flour
12oz. Kapok Naturals Quinoa Flour is sourced and stone ground in the Andean Mountains of Peru. This flour contains all eight essential amino acids and is also a great source of protein, vitamins, dietary fat, minerals and fiber.
Kapok Naturals is a family-run business that has promoted a healthy and active lifestyle for more than 150 years. It is also a certified USDA Organic and GMP organization, producing the finest products available.
Best Kosher Quinoa Flour
32oz. This quinoa flour from LiveKuna is ground from organic white quinoa that is harvested from fields in Ecuador. It’s all-natural, organic, non-GMO and Kosher—a safe choice for anyone with celiac disease.
Pick this quinoa flour as a great alternative to wheat flour that is also packed with the fiber and protein to get you through your day.
Best Quinoa Flour for Baking
18oz. Namaste foods is a woman-owned, family run business that produces a variety of products at its very own allergen-free facility. All ingredients used are sourced from vetted, like-minded companies, and the products are certified gluten-free, kosher and non-GMO.
This quinoa flour has a smooth texture and its flavor is described as mild and nutty, making it perfect for a number of great baking recipes. It also comes in a conveniently resealable bag for easy storage and use.
Best Quinoa Flour From Bolivia
12oz. Andina’s Organic Royal Quinoa is grown in the unique conditions found near salt flats in southern Bolivia. It is then scoured, washed and any impurities are eliminated, resulting in a large, puffed grain bursting with flavor.
Andina is a privately-owned company producing an assortment of non-GMO, organic and gluten-free items made from the quinoa grain. All of Andina’s quinoa is sustainably grown and sourced in line with Fairtrade standards.
Best Gourmet Quinoa Flour
17.6oz. Roland Foods aims to foster a culture of integrity, respect and pride in its production of gourmet foods like its 100% whole grain, gluten-free quinoa flour. This quinoa flour has zero grams of trans fat, and is full of protein and iron.
Roland’s quinoa flour has great flavor and is appropriate for use in the home or by restaurants, professional chefs and industrial foodservice facilities looking to replace wheat flour.
Shopping Guide: Everything You Need to Know About Quinoa Flour
Once you learn about the various properties and nutritional benefits of quinoa flavor, you’ll want to start incorporating it into your meals straight away. In this section, we’ll explain what makes quinoa flour so special, and how you can best put it to use. This article will offer you a comprehensive look at this superfood.
What exactly is quinoa flour?
The quinoa seeds used in quinoa flour are sourced from the Chenopodium plant and are especially nutritious. Quinoa’s use in South America’s Andes region—including countries like Bolivia, Ecuador and Peru—dates back thousands of years, but its consumption is now common around the world.
What makes quinoa flour a superfood?
The consumption of superfoods has grown in popularity as people realize the benefit of adding them to their diet. Quinoa flour is one of the superfoods whose popularity is skyrocketing, especially because it serves as such a good alternative to wheat flour. Due to this popularity, it’s very easy to find quinoa flour in supermarkets and online.
View this post on Instagram
fluffy quinoa flour pancakes!! 😋😋 these were absolutely amaaaaazing and so easy to make 🥞 recipe: 1/2 cup quinoa flour 2 tsp baking powder 2/3 cup almond milk 1 flax egg 1 tsp vanilla mix all the ingredients together and cook on medium heat for a couple minutes on each side . . . #vegan #plantbased #veganpancakes #pancakes #quinoaflour #quinoa #breakfast #veganrecipes #yum #healthyfood
What are quinoa flour’s benefits?
- High level of quality vegetable proteins: Quinoa flour contains all nine essential amino acids, making it a rare, protein-rich member of the vegetable kingdom and a perfect ingredient for vegan and vegetarian dishes.
- Contains phytoestrogens known for regulating metabolic and hormonal activity: This means quinoa can improve blood circulation, and the grain’s high fiber content, along with very little fat or starch, can contribute to weight loss, preventing constipation and improving digestive function.
- It has a low glycemic index and does not contain cholesterol or gluten: This makes quinoa a suitable food for those with celiac disease, and it can contribute to the prevention of cardiovascular diseases. Quinoa flour is also especially filling.
- It is easy to incorporate into a wide range of recipes: Quinoa flour is a great way to thicken protein shakes, milk, sauces and creams. It’s also perfect for baked goods like muffins, cookies and bread.
What is quinoa flour’s nutritional value?
The following table outlines the nutrients found in 100 grams of quinoa flour:
What distinguishes quinoa flour from other quinoa-based products?
- Whole quinoa: The raw quinoa seed is rich in fiber, since its grain layers remain intact. It’s especially nutritious and can be used in a variety of recipes, as long as it’s cooked or sprouted. You will find different types of whole quinoa: white (mild flavor), red (stronger flavor) and black (earthy flavor).
- Quinoa powder concentrate: This option is very similar to quinoa flour, but it goes through a more intense refining process. Quinoa powder is often used to supplement ready-made foods or meals, like shakes, soups and other purees. The nutritional value remains high, although there is less fiber in this product when compared to the whole seed or flour.
- Quinoa capsules: These capsules have concentrated quinoa powder inside. They have a neutral taste and are rich in minerals, although they also lack the high fiber content found in other quinoa-based products. Capsules are recommended for consumption with water at breakfast or lunch.
What is the recommended dose of quinoa flour?
|Quinoa flour||Quinoa powder||Whole quinoa||Quinoa capsules|
|Suggested Serving (daily)||20 to 50 grams||20 grams||50 grams (raw)||3 capsules|
|Needs to be cooked?||Yes||No (but it can be put in recipes that need cooking)||Yes (should be germinated before use)||No|
|Flavor||Mild||Neutral||Mild, similar to walnut||Neutral|
Can quinoa flour be used instead of wheat flour?
If you’re making bread or other salty doughs, mixing quinoa flour with other ingredients can help ease the process. Quinoa also goes great in low-calorie cookies and pancakes. Or use it to thicken shakes and smoothies, adding nutrients in the meantime.
Can quinoa flour be consumed by diabetics and people with celiac disease?
Diabetics should use greater caution. The whole quinoa seed is safe for diabetics, because of its higher antioxidant content. However, quinoa flour does not have an identical impact on the body because of the intense refining process it goes through. Diabetics should consult with a professional before consuming quinoa flour.
Are there any negative consequences from the consumption of quinoa flour?
Although generally safe to consume, anyone with a chronic disease or who is taking medication should consult with a doctor prior to incorporating quinoa into their daily diet. The manufacturer’s instructions for use should not override any recommendations from a doctor, and consultation will ensure that you don’t experience any unwanted reactions or side effects.
When choosing the best quinoa flour for you, there are a handful of factors you may want to take into account. Here, we’ll lay out all of the important information to consider before buying quinoa flour.
Quinoa flour is widely used as a wheat flour alternative for people who have celiac disease or are gluten intolerant. Even though the quinoa seed is naturally gluten-free, it can occasionally be contaminated by traces of gluten cereals (like oats, wheat, rye and barley). So you should always check for a seal certifying that a product is gluten-free.
Ease of Consumption
Quinoa flour is mostly packaged in sealed, airtight packages that allow for easy access and speedy use in whatever recipe you’re making. If you’re preparing a meal that requires mixing, be sure that the quinoa flour you get is suitable to be mixed with other ingredients and won’t alter the taste or texture.
The Fairtrade certification shows that a product was produced and distributed under specific conditions that benefit consumers, producers and traders. Those conditions relate to the ethical quality of an item and are meant to promote sustainable development and honest work. Look for a Fairtrade label as an added bonus of your quinoa flour.
We recommend that you take note of nutritional information on the quinoa flour’s package to be sure that the product is not over-refined. Too much refining can cause the quinoa flour to lose its inherent nutritional value.
Origin of Ingredients
The best and most nutritious quinoa flow is grown in regions where the grain originated, and in organic conditions. Be careful not to select a product that contains additives or other additional ingredients that could affect taste, quality or composition of the product.
Quinoa flour’s incredible nutritional value makes it an increasingly popular superfood. The flour comes from the quinoa seed, which is a safe choice for anyone with gluten intolerance or celiac disease, and it can be used in a wide variety of recipes.
The properties of quinoa flavor can be especially beneficial for people facing cardiovascular, cholesterol, digestion and hypertension issues. But any person of any age can enjoy the grain and take advantage of the vitamins and minerals found within.
If this guide has been of use to you, leave us a comment and be sure to share the article so that your friends and family can also discover the incredible benefits of quinoa flour.
(Source of Featured Image: Jirkaejc: 68078771/ 123rf.com)